Bigfoot governor bouncing or surging

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bigfoot governor bouncing or surging

Bigfoot governor bouncing or surging

Am a long time Argo fan [1979] and am having problems with a 2003 Briggs and Stratton 17.5 Vanguard with 106 hr on it. It starts, runs, pulls, idles, etc, great but travelling at about one quarter to one third throttle not under load the governor gives a quick blip or bounce every once in awhile. I have cleaned carb and remover the "limiter' to get a good idle and acceleration. It seems the "bouncing" is less with the idle screw enriched. I have the manual for the motor and it has a complicated process using a tach [which I don't have] to set the carb and governor which are inter dependent on one another I guess. I've set the governor per manual with no change. Also installed an electric fuel pump. Am wondering if anyone has any thoughts before I buy a tach to set the governed idle etc. Am really curious to hear other peoples thoughts. This is a great site.

First thing I thought of in the beginning of the read was to reset the governor , you did that . The spring/ springs on the linkage might be the problem . Have you tried other holes or maybe a little tweek one way or another on the bracket ? The tach I believe would also kind of tell you from the way it idles but I don't think it's a guarantee .

I don't know how I missed this thread, try to slacken the small.spring attached to the tab bolted to the front head by exhaust manifold, should not effect speed or power but even you out.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thank you guys for the thoughts. I haven't done anything with the governor other than set it per the manual. I had to junk the plastic idle screw stop to open it up a little and idle good. Am going to richen a bit more to where it's a little too rich and then back off a hair. Argo Jim - I can't visualize the spring you are talking about but will check it out in the morning and fool around a bit. Have ordered a Tiny Tach, which they say must be used to set the damn carb and have the "governed idle" work. Will do some "tuning" and get back to you. My first argo [78 or 79] had a two stroke and geeezz - it was something. Hang on! Or stopped! Switched to the single Tecumseh [1980 8 wheel] and luvved em ever since.

Tiny tach isn't real time , it's slow , but it shows what your running . Trail tech makes one that does the same for less and is a little nicer . Briggs 19200 wire tach is simple and dead on , works on all engines . Good luck , hope it's a simple fix .

+ Reply to Thread