very frustrated out of answers 18 hp Vanguard in MaxIV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: very frustrated out of answers 18 hp Vanguard in MaxIV

very frustrated out of answers 18 hp Vanguard in MaxIV

when it rains it pours.
    all of a sudden my Max IV started running rough. My neighbor said I had "Green gas " in it get it out. It was back firing and had no power. I drained the gas tank put fresh gas in it SAME thing. So i decide i need to clean the carb again. I did this a few months ago when it was surging and made it run great. So I clean the carb.. Take the jet out and clean it ect. Put it back together and dont realize i have dropped a bolt that has wedged between the flywheel. When i hit the key the starter turns a little then nothing. I take the rope crank cover off and there the bolt is wedged between the top of the flywheel. I get the bolt out try the key nothing. I try the rope it is cranking over but gas is pouring out of the carb, It back fires and actually catches top of carb on fire a little. This was all yesterday.
    So o come home today decide to try some more. First i fear alost of gas in engine so i change the oil and filter. I then take carb back apart and clean. I then try to start with screw driver across solenoid. it trys to once but could never get it to turn over with the screw driver on the solenoid again. So I try to start with rope again. Gas is spewing out the carb and it trys to start and cathes on fire again.. Im at a lost i dont know where to go from here

I had a similar experience without all the gas or fire though with my Max IIs 18HP years ago. It turned out to be a bent pushrod. Its pretty easy to pop the valve covers to check.

Hope this helps, Keith.

well i got part of the problem better last night. the Tang that holds the float somehow got bent way out of position. I dont know if a back fire could have caused this or not. But I bent the tang down to allow the float the drop down and shut the fuel off like it is suppose to. Im still not sure how to get that adjustment exactly right. It starts and runs decent now. But looks like some exhaust coming out of the carb to me. And it hickups about every 5-7 seconds. Sometimes a flame shoots out the carb. usually when I first pull the rope a flame will shoot out the carb. Any suggestions?

Take the float out and shake it and see if you hear anything inside.....it could be filling with gas and not floating to close the needle.
    When the engine locked up it could have sheared the flywheel key and the timing is off....check that also.

i think the float issue is solved. it was bent badly out of adjustment. how this happened i dont know. But I plan to try to check the flywheel out when I get home. I wonder if it is gonna take a special puller to get it it off?

ok i took the OHV cover off the front of engine. the pulled the rope very slow. the valve... closest to the wheel moved up and down the one closest to the center of vehcle isnt moving. i took a flashlight and looked in the hole and the pushrod was out of position. it doesnt appear bent. is this just out of position? is it easy to put back in place or is it somehow broke?
    Last edited by westkymaxiv; 04-14-2012 at 12:35 AM.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Loosen the adjustment screw and remove the push rod. Wipe off the oil and on the flattest surface you have, lay the rod and roll it while watching for deflection, (up and down motion), this will tell you if it is bent, if so, replace it with new. If none, put it back in and adjust the valves on both cylinders. You should be good to go on that. For the flywheel, if it moved enough to shear the key, it should come off fairly easily.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

If you normally run regular unleaded and then dumped some alcohol gas in it, ran the machine for awhile and then parked it for a month or so what I've seen happen several times on these small engines is the alcohol loosens up the varnish and it builds up on the valves and guides and while the thing is parked the varnish gets so gummy that later when you try and crank it over to start, it will actually bend the push rods sometimes just enough that it won't run right, and once in a while it won't run at all, just an idea mike.

i checked the flywheel it was fine. i talked to a highly recommended mechanic by a few sources and he told me the head would have to be replaced. I described to him what I saw. He said the fact looking at the springs around the valve .. i think being pushed up higher that it would have to have a new head. Does this not sound right???? I thought maybe I could just put the pushrod back in but he said it would just do it again??? He said he could sell me a used head for $40 and complete the work for $150.
    Last edited by westkymaxiv; 04-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Without seeing it or at least a picture of what you are describing this is what I would do. Unbolt the rocker arm and pull out the pushrod. You can check it for straightness or just replace it, they are really cheap. Aluminum pushrods are used on the intake and steel pushrods are used on the exhaust. Push up and down on the top of the valve to make sure it is not stuck in the guide. If it is free, put the pushrod in, the rocker arm back on and adjust the valve lash.

Keith.

+ Reply to Thread