new rims

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new rims

new rims

ok so in the rebuild the old conquest rims were shot good tires though guess salt water did them in .So i ordered from rec supply galvenized rim were 13.00 with stem some one said they did not have bead lock rim as argo rim does .well i put them side by side they are the same rim but galv. why would anyone buy steel rims when you can get these so dang cheap.the spec. are the same as steel.by the way first time at mounting tires as these what a pain in the butt. no promblem seating them though oh yes i used a bead sealer compond on them that kinda glues it to rim should be fun when i have to dismount them

oh yeah while i am on tangent here why in the world don't argo use more stainlees in there machine like bolts and such and simple little grease zerk cover you can buy ten for 135 i think i payed.while everything that i could i changed to stainlees and sealed up at the same time any little holes that were left ie some one just drilled hole through cover for winch elec cable water tight fitting at boat store 5.33 But i did say yesterday i am not buying anymore but i sure do want a front window.

From my experience,stainless steel threaded hardware and dirt do not get along well,at all.

Joe.

As far as rims go if they look the same run em,four years ago I bought 16 new rims out of O.D.G and they all started bead leaking almost immediately,I thought it was me and dismounted a couple and re tried it same thing,after a month of frustration I called the dealer and asked what gives,he said bring them back that the manufacturer had a bad batch that were out of spec,so I replaced all of them what a pain,moral of this rant not always are the original equipment the answer.N.C.T

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    From my experience,stainless steel threaded hardware and dirt do not get along well,at all.

Joe.
    Oh yea on the subject of stainless steel,I didnt know that there were so many different qualities of stainless hardware,found out the hard way once when I replaced a bunch of steel with some stainless,broke, stripped you name it so you kinda gotta know what the country of origin is.N.C.T

yes there lies the promblem if you get stainless at your local harware store than yes you will get an bad grade and it will gall. I got mine at fastnall and have never had any trouble i think grade 316 but i could be wrong.as for the rim we will know soon. now i got to fire up lathe and turn new track pin keeper things my pins and keepers are shot .salt water again i guess. think it take about a day of my time to cut and thread the keepers and pins. but gotta do it .although very tempting ad on ebay now for them .so how much is my time worth...............

Who is Rec supply? Is that a Canadian company? Do they have a web site?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by reichstall View Post
    yes there lies the promblem if you get stainless at your local harware store than yes you will get an bad grade and it will gall. I got mine at fastnall and have never had any trouble i think grade 316 but i could be wrong.as for the rim we will know soon. now i got to fire up lathe and turn new track pin keeper things my pins and keepers are shot .salt water again i guess. think it take about a day of my time to cut and thread the keepers and pins. but gotta do it .although very tempting ad on ebay now for them .so how much is my time worth...............
    I was told that take a magnet with you and that the cheaper grades you will feel a slight attraction and with the purer grades no magnet will pick it up (it was either one way or the other) you are a machinist tell me what is so.

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Who is Rec supply? Is that a Canadian company? Do they have a web site?
    I certainly dont know but at 13 a piece it sure aint Canadian,a pack of smokes is close to that.LOL

Stainless shouldn't stick to a magnet. I work with 304 stainless all the time an it will not stick to a magnet

+ Reply to Thread