Briggs backfiring

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Briggs backfiring

Briggs backfiring

I have 20 hrs on my 16 hp Briggs in my max2 any sometimes when turn the engine off it won't to backfire. Had the same motor in my 1999 Argo and never had this problem any ideas

is your idle set too high?

Actually it's very low. If it stays idling for a period of time it will go dead by it's self. But I like it like that because it makes it easier on the transmission when shifting from forward to reverse.

It's fairly common. If it is running fine then don't worry about it. If you want to avoid the backfire, let it idle for a couple of seconds and when when you turn the ignition off, immediately give the engine full throttle. If that doesn't work pump the throttle while shutting it off.

Mike is absolutely right. The Briggs I have do the same thing. It's nothing to worry about, just the nature of the beast. The later model Briggs have a solenoid in the carburetor to prevent/reduce the backfiring.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I can remember the old 18 hp Briggs in my grandpas hustler sounded like a cannon but I thought they had fixed it. Don't ever remember the 99 Argo ever doing it but the max is doing it some not nothing like the old hustler though.

Mine does it too. I guess some call it afterfire and say its from fuel being pulled into the hot exhaust after spark/coil has been grounded. Aggravates the tar out a me but I've had some luck with the methods others have mentioned here.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

Your carb. is set to rich try leaning it out, and I bet your idle will come up alittle.

Hey guys,can someone help me out with this ?..my 16 h vanguard is having carb problems,had it cleaned and replaced gasket,new fuel filter,plugs hole tune up..was running great but sometimes will only run with choke on when driving it..when chokes off,,it starves for gas..and bogs when u rev it..thanks..

Check to see if there are any small cracks in the fuel line or anywhere else that air may be leaking in......this would cause it to run too lean and need to have the choke on to run properly. It happened on my friend's Max IV with an 18HP Vanguard and we fixed the fuel line and it was as good as new.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread