Spray on rubber

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spray on rubber

Spray on rubber

Hey guys I was watching tv an this commercial came on where they cut a hole in a boat then spray this stuff in a screen. It's a giant area an supposably it doesn't leak. Anyone try this or think it will stick to ABS?

i was kinda wondering myself.

If it's too good to be true it usually is.BUT I hope I am wrong!

I might give it a try. I think if I scuff up the plastic an clean it real good it should stick.

Let us know how it works out.

I personally would not use it. If it has a grip to it, it will tear off on the trails and cause you to get hung up on logs and rocks and such. Will it stick to ABS... most likely will, but come on, ABS is easy to repair. Take the time to make some abs goo with some acetone and scrap, and patch it properly and you won't be disappointed. Duct tape will patch your body too, and fiberglass, metal rivits and silicone, self leveling driveway crack sealer, and a bunch of other stuff. I am all for experimenting, but I love my 6x6 too much to put some rubber undercoating in a can on it that was advertised to turn a screen door into a boat...On the other hand, when it sinks you may have some sort of lawsuit.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Drew I know how to make the abs goo. I just figured that rubber stuff would seal any little crack an act as a skid plate. I wasn't thinking about hanging up on things though I was kinda thinking it would have a smooth finish an not be like bed liner.

Any spray rubber material will grip obsticals. It may be an ok product to coat the inside of the tub for sealant purposes, but I would avoid outside body usage. I believe this product is probably no different than any spray undercoat or bedliner, just with a different marketing spin on it. Just for the record, I wouldn't use it on my house either. sika is a brand of construction adhesives and they make a self leveling sealant that is similar to latex in the way it feels once its set up. it may be a better product if you want to put it inside the tub to make sure your cracks are tight.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Good idea for the inside. That's the way to go. Thanks drew

I've experimented with the spray-on rubber (Basically undercoating) on different stuff and found that over a relatively short time, it does crack/leak. I recall one experiment was on rain gutter seams. Didn't work well at all. Even after multiple applications. It isn't very flexible, and as I said, it shrinks and cracks in a short period of time. A REAL automotive undercoating might work better, but you'll have to go through a dealer or body shop, and will pay more. And you'd have to get high dollar spray applicators. To me, any "Spray-bomb" over the counter sealant is just a quick fix and doesn't/won't last long. Someone mentioned useing it for small cracks and such. Silicone RTV works great for that type repair and retains it's flexability. Whatever you decide on, it should be applied on the inside of your tub, as the members mentioned how it will be affected on the outside. That's just my 2 cents worth.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread