Snow Plowing Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow Plowing Question

Snow Plowing Question

First year using the argo plow, works great. With plow installed though, the back tires are raised from the weight of the plow. Even with it all the way winched out, the weight from the boom still keeps the back tires slightly off the ground. Argo handles fine when plowing just wondering if you guys try to counterbalance it with something on the back of the argo or leave it as is. Any long term concerns with rear tires often not touching when plowing?

Quote Originally Posted by vipercwf View Post
    First year using the argo plow, works great. With plow installed though, the back tires are raised from the weight of the plow. Even with it all the way winched out, the weight from the boom still keeps the back tires slightly off the ground. Argo handles fine when plowing just wondering if you guys try to counterbalance it with something on the back of the argo or leave it as is. Any long term concerns with rear tires often not touching when plowing?
    not a problem. 8 wheel avengers have a curved frame. on level ground an unladen avenger will not let the rear wheel touch the ground. makes turning easier.

Appreciate the insight, thank you.

The back wheels are always off the ground anyway. In fact, you can remove those wheels without even jacking the machine up in any way. So, I don't think that's as a result of your plow. It certainly doesn't affect the plowing in anyway. I have a couple of plowing videos on YouTube you could check out. As to extra weight, sometimes I'd like to have more up at the plow end ... especially if I'm backing up and using the plow to pull the snow.

Are you using tracks while you are plowing, by the way?

Don't have tracks. Everything has handled fine - I guess i never really noticed how much the back tires were off the ground anyways to be honest - Long story short I didn't use/have Argo for years. Just seemed different to me especially when say, backing up my inclined driveway for example, rear end seemed higher than normal sort of assumed that was from weight of plow.

The Banana frame becomes more exaggerated with the plow on no doubt but I have plowed for years with out issue of traction or anything else for the matter the only thing I can think of to caution you of after years of using a plow make sure your plow mount to front axle flange stays tight and reverse the way your winch is wound the cable needs to come off the top of the drum as opposed to the bottom as the cable will experience a bending action over the roller fairlead that tends to fray and break the cable coming off the top its pretty much a straight line down tor the plow.NCT

Appreciate this info. I have definitely noticed that with the winch the line rubs on the bottom of the hawse fairlead with strong tension because like you said it's pretty much a straight line. It dug into the aluminum of the fairlead the first time out. I was just trying to think in my head and it's spinning a little bit, how do I go about reversing the way it is wound. Would i just reverse the polarity/cables to the winch so that 'IN' winds from the top? Apprecaite all the info, big help.

Appreciate this info. I have definitely noticed that with the winch the line rubs on the bottom of the hawse fairlead with strong tension because like you said it's pretty much a straight line. It dug into the aluminum of the fairlead the first time out. I was just trying to think in my head and it's spinning a little bit, how do I go about reversing the way it is wound. Would i just reverse the polarity/cables to the winch so that 'IN' winds from the top? Apprecaite all the info, big help.
    If you take all of the cable off of the drum and then re-feed it onto the drum starting from the top rather than from the bottom it will be reverse fed.

But the only way that it could feed 'in' from the top is actually using 'Out' on the on the Toggle to actually feed in when reverse fed line, right? No big deal I could deal with that - but just curious would reversing the cables to the winch connections now make 'OUT' 'IN' so that if I press the IN button it will top feed? Not a big deal but if it works that way I might as well make the easy change if I can.

snow plowing question

But the only way that it could feed 'in' from the top is actually using 'Out' on the on the Toggle to actually feed in when reverse fed line, right? No big deal I could deal with that - but just curious would reversing the cables to the winch connections now make 'OUT' 'IN' so that if I press the IN button it will top feed? Not a big deal but if it works that way I might as well make the easy change if I can.
    That sounds so obviously correct that you must be right but I am not sure. If you try it and it works please let it be known.

+ Reply to Thread