Teach me track is off

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teach me track is off

Teach me track is off

Here we go, max4 rubber tracks when I put them on I was in a shop with a lift and lots of help because it was a new toy. Couple weeks ago in the field, right track started to come off and wouldn't walk back on so WE took the air out of the tires, used a pry bar and on they went, 1/2 hr job that wasn't to bad. Now today, track completely off. The machine is on the edge of the field everyone leaves. I start trying to get it back on about 2:00 pm, it's now dark and it still sits on the field edge all alone. I jacked up the front and tried, then the back, and tried, then removed as much air as possible and tried. Then took off rear wheel and tried, none of which worked. I do think now that the wheel removal was a bad idea, but I'll listen to whatever anyone has to say. I plan on buying a vacuum pump tomorrow and trying to suck more air out of the tires. As the heading says TEACH ME!!! To my northern freinds there's NO WAY I would want to do this in your freezing temps.

Sounds like you're on the right track (pun intended). The best way I've found was take the valve cores out, suck all the air out of the tires then just put the valve caps on. Put track on either the front or back tire then walk track on the rest of the way by pulling it around from the top. If you can run it back with just one track then I'd do that. Once you're home use a shop vac to suck all the air out. I draw them down so far they will actually form a triangle. Hope this helps.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

By this time tomorrow I will know. thanks for the advise. I can't believe it came off based on all the trouble it is to get on.

Air pressure is crucial with these tracks.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

teach me track is off

Hi Delduck, just so that you know what all of your options are, especially if you are going to buy another set of tracks for your Max ii. The fact is that when Argo first offered rubber tracks for the Avenger in about 2004 they came in an endless loop like the Max tracks apparently still do? Argo soon started putting a splice into the track that allowed you to pull out the pin in the splice or hinge. That sure makes putting the track back on in the field easier. Argo also offer a short plate that can be put into the hinge to make the track a bit longer or shorter if need be. My tracks are actually made by the same supplier that makes the tracks for Argo but are 2 inches wider and came in the endless loop. I used them that way for a couple of years until an Argo dealer took mercy on me and cut and installed an argo hinge splice, what an improvement! This year for some reason the new tires on my new machine required the use of the extension so I was rewarded again. In my opinion, which is only that, you would be much better off with a hinge in both sets of your rubber tracks. Good luck

Are these something I can contact a Argo dealer about? This absolutely sounds like what I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    Are these something I can contact a Argo dealer about? This absolutely sounds like what I could use.
    Yes you can get argo track hinges or splice plates, not sure of terminology, from any Argo dealer,some on this site may want to add info. I don't know if you wouldn't be doing the same thing with the track splice that Zuk is offering for sale?

Just curious,how does one draw the tracks (rubber type) together at the hinge to be able to install the pin?

ratchet straps

teach me track is off

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    ratchet straps

+ Reply to Thread