Terra tiger

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terra tiger

Terra tiger

Got a line on a tiger, runs and drives, needs tires, has been converted to five lug wheels, guy is asking 500 bucks, is it worth it?
    Last edited by Mike; 08-24-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: moved thread from General discussion to Other AATVs forum

Look for an Argo,Max,Attex or Hustler they are later model units that have been refined over the years to make them reliable machines.The Terra Tiger has no reverse,no frame,and some clutches that are on the small side even for the mildest of tires.A 2-stroke machine will also have its limitations on the work that you can do with it.Noise of the 2-stroke is sometimes a factor also.In my opinion there are better machines out there for a little more money.

Eddie is spot on. I'd say pass on it......the Terra Tiger will be more work and less riding time. A Hustler, Attex, or Max would be a MUCH better machine.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

A Terra Tiger was my first machine. It was great at the time, it got me in the swamps (which was about the only play area we had in Eastern Arkansas) and was a blast for a kid to drive. The first few times I encountered obstacles that blocked me and I needed to back up, didn't bother me too badly, but after about the 20th time of having to get out and man-handle that fairly heavy machine around, as my friends in their Hustlers and Attex's just backed up, started bugging me. In time I recognized the steering pucks were too light duty, and the little Sachs motor had to be revved to nearly full throttle to do anything. When I compared my machine to my friends's machines, I realized that I had the lesser machine. I then sold it and later found a little Attex for about the same money that was a far superior machine.
    I think even if you converted the machine to a t20, the lack of a frame is going to catch up with you at some point. Several of my other friends that had Terra Tigers utilized them as disposable machines. They would run them until they broke down, and then just leave them where they were when they failed.
    My vote is to find yourself a nice Max, Hustler, or Attex and go from there. These machines lend themselves to repair, upgrades, etc.

I agree with Noel. The TT can be alot of fun, but would be best kept out of the swamps. Keep it in the feilds or trails thru the woods. But those are the ares that a quad would be the best machine. I restored a TT once, put in an electric reverse, then the clutches went out. The electric reverse is really only good for backing off a trailer, or out of the garage.
    I often wish I had kept it, installed a t-20, frame, axle up grade, and larger chain (#50), but there is only so much room in the garage. LOL It is hard to find machines for $500, but for $1500.... You will have alot more fun.

Thanks for all the good advice, I talked the guy down to 450 and couldnt control my urge and bought it.
    Has a 13 hrs honda motor in it and wheel hub converters that maybe I can use on my muskateer project.
    After tearing around the yard a couple times I see what you all meen, probably best to stay out of the swamp.
    I definately see an argo or max in my future. thanks again.

Check you clutch springs, if they only have 1 washer on them you can install an extra washer on clutch springs. 1'' spilt washer and you can install without disassemble with a couple flat screw drivers and a hammer. If the clutches are worn out you can install a heavier set of springs when relinning them. And they don't need washers. Day and night difference with good linning material installed and heavy springs.

+ Reply to Thread