Hustler 950 exhaust duct?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 950 exhaust duct?

Hustler 950 exhaust duct?

should there be a sheet metal duct on the exhaust side of the engine in my 950 (18hp briggs) to force the hot air out the back of the machine? there was nothing there when i got it and the side of the body, and engine cover get very hot.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Route 6x6 shows one he reworked with the exhaust air going out the side. The 16 magnums had the air ducted over the exhaust and exiting out the rear.

After my first ride in the back seat this afternoon, I decided that a Duct was a must. the seat back and rear floor board were unbearably hot after about 20 minutes and i couldn't get my hand anywhere near the left rear of the body. I have very limited metal working tools at the house, so it wasn't easy, but I got a duct on the machine that pushes most of the heat out the opening in the back of the body. the duct is crude and ugly, but it is much more tolerable now. I still need to come up with some kind of thin insulation for the outside of the duct to reduce the radiant heat. I'd also like to come up with a pair of the body side vents off an earlier model Hustler to help get some fresh air moving under the hood
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dennis kirk has this"
    Moose Heat Shield
    Dennis Kirk Part #: 614673
    Manufacturer Part #: M30051

Moose Heat Shield
    Your Price: $27.95
    a bit pricy but the spec look good.

Here is another link
    Heat shield floor mat

This is what the ductwork looked like on the 18 i/c that came out of the Bigfoot. It's just steel cowling with some household insulation and aluminum tape over it (some of it, now). It fit into a cut-out in the side of the body to allow the exhaust and cooling air to exit the engine compartment, but the back seat still got really hot.

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

hey don try one of those survival blankets on the back side of your seat to reflect the heat away.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    After my first ride in the back seat this afternoon, I decided that a Duct was a must. the seat back and rear floor board were unbearably hot after about 20 minutes and i couldn't get my hand anywhere near the left rear of the body. I have very limited metal working tools at the house, so it wasn't easy, but I got a duct on the machine that pushes most of the heat out the opening in the back of the body. the duct is crude and ugly, but it is much more tolerable now. I still need to come up with some kind of thin insulation for the outside of the duct to reduce the radiant heat. I'd also like to come up with a pair of the body side vents off an earlier model Hustler to help get some fresh air moving under the hood
    Has anyone used this idea in reverse and ducted the hot air up front to be used as heat in cold weather? Much like the early VW beetles type heaters. Maybe even, if you wanna get real fancy, a control and door mechanism so you have control of heat going to the front cab area in cold weather or out the back in hot weather?
    If anyone has done this-any pics?

+ Reply to Thread