No spark

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No spark

No spark

I bought a 6×6 argo in 2012 and had the 16 hp ohv tecumseh rebuilt.had a hard time finding carb but just got the old on rebuilt now I can't get a spark.is 17.02 ohms good enough for stator? I took the mag. Off a running motor.a
    6ny ideas?

take you multi meter put it on ohms and put the red end in one of the 2 stator wires and put the black end on the stator if it reads anything you stator is shorted if it reads ol or 0 your good

Monty, I'll tell you what I think for what its worth, although I have never worked on that particular engine. My perspective comes from working on other small engines, so please just take these concepts and apply to your engine, if they fit. On my Briggs engine......

The stator is only for charging and has nothing to do with the ignition spark. Its the magneto that generates spark. The stator is under the flywheel while the magneto is mounted to the side of the flywheel. Turning the key to the off position simply grounds the magneto coil and causes it to quit firing, thus killing the engine. Also, for the magneto to fire, there is a specified gap between the magneto pickup and the flywheel - typically about the thickness of a business card. If any of this is the same for your engine (you mention mag in your original post) here's some things you can try.

First, check the gap at the magneto and if its off, set it to spec. if you can find the spec.
    Next, I assume the magnets are still intact in the flywheel. No magnets equals no spark.
    Next, find the ground wire to the magneto and disconnect it as close to the engine as possible. If you get spark then you have a wiring problem somewhere grounding out when it shouldn't. At the point where you disconnect the ground wire, make sure it isn't grounding out back to the magneto.
    Next, make sure the plug wire itself isn't damaged such that it is grounding out.
    Next, and maybe you should do this first, check for spark between the end of the plug wire and the plug. If you are pulling the plug and checking for spark through the plug, you could have a bad plug. Check the wire first and if you have spark then check it through the plug.

If none of that works, then I'm not sure what the problem is since you have a known good magneto.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread