My first Hustler!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Hustler!

After a few hours reading this morning, after not being able to fall back to sleep, I have decided to go with the 530 chain from mfg supply, the tensile strength is 9790, most of the #50 I've been able to find specs for were in the 6-7000# range. I also found a thread where kghills mentioned his pin counts as follows-
    86 t20 to pizza pans
    118 fronts
    112 rears
    Sound about right? These are all lengths mfg sells pre cut so that makes life a tad easier.
    Still leaning toward snap idle tensioners, the only issue I can see, since removing the factory tensioners is the square cross members may stop them from from moving close to the sprocket when changing direction. Or do the snap idles pretty much stay put when adjusted? Has anyone tried the snap idle concept but instead of the side straps use eye bolts and heavy springs to keep constant tension? In my mind it would be like a cheap redneck centaur tensioner where it would have tension on either side so changing direction wouldn't add stress to the tensioner when the slack side changes. Or the springs would at least allow it to absorb (some of) the shock rather then just busting off the studs or wallering out the bolt holes in the straps.

Edit- rain rain go away, I got some welding todo today....
    DanW

Okay, eagle eyes ,
    Well let's hear it �� I funked one up.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 06-27-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    DanW

Ha. Got the input on the wrong side. At least it's not completely back together.

dan 89 ... i have used the floating snap idlers a no. of times and had good performance with them. there needs to be some slack in the chain so when the 2 pieces are pulled together , they will float in that center point . i have also secured them in that position to make sure they did'nt run to a end . just depends on how tight a spot they are placed . hen you use those type , there is not really a slack side . johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Ha. Got the input on the wrong side. At least it's not completely back together.
    I had it all together except the case bolts, last night night I looked at it after coming in from doing some hustler stuff and I thought wait something is off here, I looked s little closer and was like aww maaannn, I screwed this one up, the guys on the 6x6 site are gonna love this hahaha. Oh well that's what I get for not paying closer attention. Lol.

Johnboy, that's kind of what I was thinking when adjusted it would float where it's at I guess the skinny spot, these seem like a great solution for in a tight area. I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a set, they will be dear but I think in the end worth it.
    DanW

Before I spend 350 bucks on chain and links, is there any reason I can't use 530 chain? My sprockets look spaced out enough to me and I no longer have any factory tensioners except for the t20 chains.
    DanW

Dropped a bunch of coin on the hustler this week. But I'm down to little dumb stuff and all the major stuff is bought. As soon as I get this welding done it should be short work to get this baby rolling on its own. 530 chains and links ordered mfg supply, 1 Richards axle, 7 more motor mounts to complete the set also from Richards. Drums courtesy of WFO. All the bolts for inner and outer bearings. If TSC is open when I get off work tonight I'll buy all new axle and sprocket tube bolts and a couple idlers for my t20 chains, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be sliders or rollers to keep the t20 chains off the frame or what but it's getting rollers on bottom too. Working on redesigning the shifter so it's not jamming in the back of my leg or having my leg rest against it when driving. Just something simple from 1/4" flat bar against the left side, so if anyone is in need of a factory shifter and link I will have it available in the next few weeks. Still undecided on a split shifter setup or just let it single shifter.
    DanW

Split shifter idea simple and easy
    Attached Images
    DanW

Laterals built, welding done, if it's nice tomorrow the transmission is going in the frame and I'm going to start bolting in axles bearings and sprockets and routing chains. I swear though, Everytime I think I'm done buying bolts I need to buy more bolts lol. A couple cuts and drill a few holes for my shift linkage and my split shift will be kind of done. I got cool guy shift knobs for them so that's going to be a surprise for later. Some rust-oleum to seal it all up and I'm almost able to ride.
    DanW

Sounds like you are making good progress. This is hard to do, but don't take any shortcuts just to hurry up and take that first ride.

+ Reply to Thread