My first restoration: ST/300/D

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: My first restoration: ST/300/D

I have a 72 colt that i have been working on.I tried the acetone,It removed the haze but it has black spots on it that is not wanting to come off.I tried wet sanding in spots to see if it would help but not much results.I may try an electric sander to see if that helps.I have 3 that i'm working on at the same time so the attex is at the bottom off the list.I got to get my stepson brandons argo ready first.

Well, I have the old 300/D stripped down a little more. I popped the headlights out and took the seat off. There was a little mold under the bottom half of the seat, so I will have to replace the wood and it should be good. I also took advantage of my $4.00 heat gun that I acquired at a yard sale and used it to address the dent and crack in the right front corner. It worked great! I got the dent to come most of the way out and was able to close up the crack a little bit. Should I have this crack plastic welded or will making some ABS good work good enough?

ResizedImage_1345473502654.jpg
    ResizedImage_1345473532325.jpg
    2012-08-19_22-14-13_298 10-53-03.jpg
    2012-08-18_21-58-30_71.jpg
    2012-08-18_22-17-54_544 10-52-20.jpg
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- A-stock racer build! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

Lookin' GREAT Martin! I think that you could go either route to seal up that crack. If it's a lot more effort to drag it somewhere to have it welded, I think that goo would work just fine.

Keep up the good work.

As usual, I didn't get to the body this weekend, but decided to do the frame instead so that once I do get the body done, I can basically get it back to a roller asap. I got it all cleaned and prepped for paint, then primed it using rustoleum 'stops rust' primer. Tomorrow, I will paint it with gloss black rustoleum.

2012-09-09_16-56-12_190.jpg

2012-09-09_17-25-35_869.jpg

I was also finishing up the transmission cradle and cleaning the calipers when I broke my first thing on this entire project! I had the right caliper done and was working on the left one when I was taking out the left adjuster screw (by hand) when only half of the screw came out. I think it may have been broken inside the caliper because I was only taking it out by hand, not using a wrench other than to break it loose, and it was very dirty between the two pieces. I have never seen something like this in a parts/hardware store (although I have never really had to look). Is this something that I might be able to find in a store somewhere? If not, does someone on here have one that I could buy from them? In case you need dimensions, it is a 3/16'' head and 1.75'' overall. Thanks!

2012-09-09_21-32-08_678.jpg

2012-09-09_21-25-54_772.jpg

2012-09-09_21-25-40_720.jpg

Boy, that hull looks terrific!. That damage you have on yours, right where the front axle comes out, is exactly the same place it is on mine. I'm going to have to do the same thing you're doing.

As to the bolt, shouldn't be hard to fab one up at all. I'd get a thread gauge to figure out what it is - I'm sure it's going to be SAE...then again, never hurts to make sure. Anyway, find thread count, bolt size, I'd get a grade 6 and make one. Won't take too long. If you can't find the right one locally, I've got an excellent industrial supply place that I get to every couple of weeks, I'm sure they have them there. I could pick one up and mail it off to you. In stainless steel, even.

Czechsix, thanks for the advice. I haven't even touched that portion of my project since then. I started doing a little body work again and just stuck with that since it is turning out so good.

I am almost finished with the acetone! Just have to do the lower section of the right-hand side exterior and do the inside of both the upper and lower body. Then it's onto wet-sanding and buffing...then reassembly!

DSCN1107.jpg DSCN1109.jpg DSCN1110.jpg DSCN1108.jpg DSCN1106.jpg

Martin, when I first caught a glimpse at the new pics you posted I almost thought you were going to say you picked up a new old stock body because it looked like it had never been used. Great work!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks, JP! It sure is amazing what a little time and effort will do. I can't get over how different it looks. It's not white anymore!

As I have been finishing the body on the Attex, I have been doing a bit of frame reassembly. I cleaned the calipers put those back together, but would like to put new brake pucks in. Where can I get the material to make new pucks?

+ Reply to Thread