Another MaxIV Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Another MaxIV Problem

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    So, I'm confused.

You're running the single-tube sprocket assembly on the back axle (an upgrade from the two separate sprockets that were set screwed to the axle individually- they were snapping splined axles for a while, Jay said...). Two set screws hold this tube in place on the axle. The set screws don't just screw down to the axle to hold the tube in place; they screw "into" a hole on the splined axle. This is probably a silly question, but can you verify that the sprocket tube is lined up on the axle so that the screws are screwing into the axle, versus just "against" the axle to hold it? I've made this mistake putting the racers together, so I was just giving it a thought.

The biggest problem with the set screw style is that it's not that hard to break set screws, at which point your tube can slide to either side and cause the alignment problem (hence RI's upgrade to the snap rings) Two split collars, one on each side of the tube, will help a great deal, like Mike says. They're cheap, and a cinch to install....
    Thanks Mike and yes you are also right there are two set screws and little divets pre drilled along the axel. Thank You and everyone else here for the help and letting me vent my frustration.

Thanks Guys for the help. I managed to get a lock collar on the shaft to prevent the walking . It was hard to do with everything in place but I got it. Now I can ride this weekend!!! Taking the Wife and kids to camp.

Try a Dog point set screw(McMaster-Carr). This has a hardened end that sets down in a drilled recess in the shaft. Remove the current set screw, use a punch to mark move sprocket and drill a spot in the shaft. install dog point set screw. These seem to stay put a lot better than any cone or standard set screw. If there is room like buggyman said a double split collar will hold it in place. I don't have a Max but there is also a option of installing a large space to stop shifting if applicable. Just a few thoughts.

The Argos have a sprocket that floats on a shaft. It is that way due to the flexing of the frame as it goes over ruts and such. The chain and sprocket find center and stay and shift as the machine flexes. I am not sure this is what causes you problem but something to think about.

I put the lock collars on and test drove today .Everything went well,chain sounds good no popping and sprocket stayed put! Can't thank the people on 6x6world enough for their help. Now onto the next fix,,,after a weekend ride first!

+ Reply to Thread