how do you tighten the front chains on an argo?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: how do you tighten the front chains on an argo?

Aussie Iron, yours must look like these: McMaster-Carr

what would stop those from riding along with the chain to the sprocket; something would be needed to keep them from moving forward or backward wouldn't it or am I missing something here.

Well one side of the chain goes one way and the other side goes the other way so the opposing actions would negate each other and the tensioner would sit where you install it. Does that make sense?

Ive had those on my 8 wheel conquest and that is a problem with them for me < I used 1/16 cable to hold the top of the tensioner to the chassis ( must be loose though so it can move) and that works pretty well.

What do you mean "loose enough to move"Are you talking about so that the chains can move across the tension points? I would think that keeping your chains lubed well enough would allow for a little more tension without wear to the tensioner. Although restraining cables as you mentioned would keep 'em from "walking"

The problem I see on the front argo axle is that floating adjuster wants to slide downhill toward the small idler sprocket.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Yes they look like the McMaster-Carr ones but home made. I also have them on my rear chains and haven't had any problems. They do float along the chains but they have found their own position and sort of stay there.

I,ve been running the ' Snap Idle ' chain adjusters on the T-20 chains of my Max IV, and they float back and forth in the direction of the chain.

+ Reply to Thread