camel 6x6 motor swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: camel 6x6 motor swap

camel 6x6 motor swap

Hi all I'm new to all of this! But here it goes i have a camel with a jlo motor no spark new coil for it still no spark ( coil is the correct one ) Now want to put a snowmobile motor in any good ideas please give me feed back not sure if the motor is running the right way??? Thank You bighunter

camel motor

Hi bighunter. Welcome to the site. If your going to use the machine for hunting you might be better off with a 4 stroke. You didn't say what you have for a tranny but I'm assuming it's a T-20. It will take a 4 stroke , no problem. It would be much quieter. Try e-bay for a powermax 18 or 20 . They're not that expensive. Good luck and post pics. mike d

i would replace points and condensors before changing the engine out. here is a source for them 01-012 - Bosch (Hirth, JLO, Kohler engines) heavy duty points

you could also do a 4 stroke for a much quieter and more reliable machine. you do have the T-20 trany in your camel so the trany clutch would probably work. if you swap out for a 4 stroke you will also have to replace the engine clutch. good luck getting this machine going and post up some pictures. that's one of my favorite looking machines. i'd love to add one to the fleet someday
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

yah i will try changing the points and see what that does for me! thanks and some pic will be on there way!

could the rectifier be bad and couse no spark?

i think a bad rectifier would only cause the charge circuit to not work. you should probably unplug the harness from the engine and see if it has spark that way. it could be as simple as a shorted out kill switch. the engine should run (have spark) without being plugged into the machines wiring
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    i think a bad rectifier would only cause the charge circuit to not work. you should probably unplug the harness from the engine and see if it has spark that way. it could be as simple as a shorted out kill switch. the engine should run (have spark) without being plugged into the machines wiring
    how do i hook up the motor to test that with out using the wire harness?

make a note of where each wire goes then unhook all of them... kill wires, charge wires... then put a spark tester on the plug wire and pull the starter rope (or use a booster pack to jump 12v to the starter to spin it over). if it still doesn't have spark, look at points. if you have spark with nothing hooked up, then the problem is in the vehicle harness (IE: mouse chewed/ shorted wires, or switch corroded so bad things have shorted)

looking at your pics, it looks like a well built machine. is the tub plastic or fiberglass?

Thanks for all the info! and yes the tub is plastic and needs some work! what you see in the pics is about how i bought it but the price was right! LOL!!

+ Reply to Thread