Amphicat - desiel conversion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amphicat - desiel conversion

Amphicat - desiel conversion

So, I have an amphicat - unknown year... but anyways, was thinking about dropping in a 10hp desiel into it (actaully, the wife wants to do this and I'm all for it). Do you guys think a 10hp would be good enough for this little machine, as well as the CVT clutch.. is it as simple as adding extra weights to account for the lower RPMS?

Cheers,

Beeman

Sounds cool it should work

Hey Beeman did you get that 10hp diesel from Princess Auto ?

My suggestion would be to use a tall drive pulley/clutch CVT or short Driven pulley
    ( High gearing/ pulley CVT type ratio)
    The Diesel 10hp may not have the HP but it has loads of torque. You may be able to get the top speed from a high ratio

You may even want to try reducing the CVT weights . I know this may sound back words but it worked in a sled that was engaging late or at too high of an RPM ( Experiment with more or less weight) .You may even want to try a different rear torque driven spring

CVT Clutch Tuning Basics - Part 3: Making the Adjustments - - ATV at Off-Road.com
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 03-03-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add a link
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Exclamation amphicat diesel

hi, yes it will work, i have vput everything from 7 hp golf cart motors to 440 ccw motors in them... here's might be your problem..the last model of cats had a very bad trans in them.. under torque, the input shaft of the trans could snap off.. i have seen alot of that over the years there is a cat on ebay now with that trans in it.. i use the plunger borg warner type

10 hp. Diesel = 14 hp. Gas

Hi Beeman, I've looking at that Princess Auto 10 hp diesel engine for quite a while $599.00 great price. 10 hp @ 3600 rpm, 1" keyed shaft, air cooled, 4 stroke, 110 lbs. My investigation showed that is would be equal to a 14 hp. gas engine in performance. I understand that it is a copy of the famous Yanmar engine. Here is a link to a guy that put it in a Geo Metro.
    10HP_Chevy

Awesome info guys! Yeah, I was planning on getting the $599 diesel from Princess Auto... a price like that you can't possibly go wrong :P

Amphiman - the gear box is a small little block about 4"X5-6" (looking down), it does look a little under built..

Cheers,

Beeman

I had looked at that motor before....what is the torque rating? I did not see one listed if I remember correctly, it might surprise you how high the torque is.

I thought of putting one of those little diesels in a first gen Attex body. With the light weight of the machine and the super torque of the little engine, it would be a great little trail machine (really slow, but great all the same).
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Bw6 View Post
    Hi Beeman, I've looking at that Princess Auto 10 hp diesel engine for quite a while $599.00 great price. 10 hp @ 3600 rpm, 1" keyed shaft, air cooled, 4 stroke, 110 lbs. My investigation showed that is would be equal to a 14 hp. gas engine in performance. I understand that it is a copy of the famous Yanmar engine. Here is a link to a guy that put it in a Geo Metro.

I went to the website you posted about the 10 hp desiel , and it puts out some very impressive torque , the author of the article said . He said it climbed the steepest hills they could find , with a load too , and the small 10 hp desiel climbed them with ease , at 15 mph . Most impressive I,d say .

I can get you a Gas 13hp for $309

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    Awesome info guys! Yeah, I was planning on getting the $599 diesel from Princess Auto... a price like that you can't possibly go wrong :P

Amphiman - the gear box is a small little block about 4"X5-6" (looking down), it does look a little under built..

Cheers,

Beeman

The Diesel is cool idea and BW6 may have even underestimated the comparison to 14hp gas. You will have a way more torque but a bit less top end RPM.IT is just a completely different animal all together. Maybe getting the high gear ratio after the Trans is a better idea. Add a few roller chain links and increase the drive sprockets size since Ampiman1 says the Ampicats tranny input shaft is week put the load on the output.

The Gas 13hp I can get is a perfect Copy HOV Honda side shaft motor. actually it comes off the same assembly line but it is blue I think $309 cnd is a good price but the shipping to Alberta would be a killer
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 03-05-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Exclamation amphicat diesel

long range,,, high fuel savings too. average .65 or more a gallon...

+ Reply to Thread