greasing bearings problem?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: greasing bearings problem?

greasing bearings problem?

I noticed that whenever I grease my bearings that it just oozes out the top. This doesn't seem right to me...What should I do to try and fix?

You need to have more info, before anyone can come up with an explanation. Does this happen on all the bearings, plus does it happen immediately on the first pump? If it's full, it's going to come out somewhere.

Bridget

It happens on 3 of my bearings, I can usually see the grease come out after the first pump or two. On my other three bearings the grease will come out all over the place, including some square hole down the bottom.

I usually give 1-3 pumps of grease after ever other ride and never really noticed this happening until now. I have also been using WalMart brand Super Tech marine grade grease, but the latest tube I got has blue grease...prior to that it was a differnt color. You can see that in the pic...

Looks like you need to replace some gaskets.

RD

Are they the original bearings ? If not, could be non-greasable bearings installed or the bearing groove or hole is plugged. Grease should come out around axle lock collar as in your second pic.

Could also be bad flanges that are bent a little bit making a gap between the two.

Today I had some time and removed the bearing flange...Is the bearing groove what I pointed out with yellow arrows? Is this where the grease is supposed to make it's way?

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Tony, yes the arrows point to the grease groove. There should be a gasket between the 2 flange halves. Here's a link to a how to article on bearing replacement done by Mike, the admin.

6x6 World - Max II Axle and Bearing Replacement

A grease gun can put out up to 2700psi so be cautious about greasing the bearings too much, you can push your bearing seals out, which will allow mud and grime to ruin the bearing.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Thanks for the response...The video deoesn't really show me what I wanted to see though. I have a parts diagram from Recreatives and there is no gasket shown between the two flanges. I took off one of the other flanges where I don't have an issue and there was no gasket between the flanges either.
    Part #22 is the only gasket listed, If I pull off the back bearing flange (part #2 -sandwiched between #22 and #3) , would that allow me to clean up the groove and remove any blockage? Can I remove #2 without removing the axle or any other parts?

Blockage probably isn't your problem. If you will watch in the video, I used silicone to seal between the flanges. Recreatives Industries uses a paper gasket between the flanges from the factory. Either way, you really need something there to seal off so that grease is forced into the bearing. Otherwise, even without a blockage, the path of least resistance is between the two flanges. Also, most flanges that I have removed were warped to some degree. It's just natural that the torque from the bolts pulls the flange together there at the bolts which will slightly warp the flanges. To keep you from pulling the axle, I would just clean the flanges and silicone them back together being careful not to use too much & not to get it on the bearing.

+ Reply to Thread