Disk brakes on a Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disk brakes on a Hustler

Disk brakes on a Hustler

I am thinking about installing small disk brake rotors and calipers on the front two axels on my Hustler (if I can find something that will fit). When you are going down a steep mountain trail and the idler sprocket seizes up, spins loose and causes the drive chain to come off...well the machine can be a little hard to slow down. If fact, almost impossible. The 200 foot drop off on one side of the trail really had me thinking about a better braking system. You might say I was inspired.
    Anyhow, I lived and the machine was unhurt as well. Anyone had luck installing disk brakes? I thought perhaps I could find a motorcycle set up that would fit.

im in process of doing it,but on the middle axle since tub is recessed for larger drive sprocket,can fit 7.5" disk but hubs need to be fabbed or modified couse of the 1 3/16" axles...i found these from a quad eBay Motors: NW ATV BIKE QUAD Rear Brake Caliper/Master 200cc Beast (item 140196498678 end time Jan-11-08 17:40:00 PST) im also using dual pedals so i can steer with them as well these are the rotors im looking at eBay Motors: Dirt Bike Rear Brake Rotor,7.5" OD, 36mm ID,China Pt (item 160184396989 end time Jan-24-08 07:42:41 PST) also found this kit but kinda pricey 1" Hydraulic Brake Kit Racing Go Kart Bar stool NEW - eBay (item 200191046210 end time Jan-17-08 13:30:44 PST)
    Last edited by srg121; 01-12-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Hey Meinfield, you could use the same set up on the Max and Attexes. There are disks welded to your front sprocket tubes and the calipers (which are the same as on on Cub Cadet tractors) are operated by a foot pedal. I will snap some pics of my setup to show you the details.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the info guys. JP, let us know if you get some pictures snapped.

I actually have a couple of pictures of when I was rebuilding mine. Here's the brake setup and a picture of the disc without the brakes attached.
    Attached Images

Thanks Mike!

Hey Meinfield, my brakes are currently dissasembled on my Attex, but here is a picture of the setup on an Attex ST/295. It's the same exact thing. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for posting those, jp. I found the cub cadet brakes you were talking about, and they look the same as those on your attex. Should work fine, I just need an emergency stopping system for those steep mountain trails that cover East Tennessee.

wilwood racing

i'm using wilwood racing brakes designed for the front of a 1500 lb vw dune buggy. these are real brakes!the max brakes are cute little parking brakes but thats all they are.i read posts on how everyone at one time has riden around with e brake on and didnt notice until they heated up and started to smell,this gives u an idea of how well they work.if ur looking for parking brakes the max and attex units are fine but u started the post with a scenario of going down a steap grade with a cliff at the bottom,i would not trust my life to the 4" mechanical parking disks.the hustler has a recessed tub across center for larger drive sproket,i fit a 8" rotor in and plan on welding mounting plate to sproket tube,frame cross section perfect for caliper mount,and clears stock floor pan.
    Attached Images

Hey srg121, that is one excellent setup you have there! I can't wait to hear how well that performs. Do you happen to know if Wilwood makes the rotors in any smaller diameters? I, as well as some of the other guys out there that own Attex racers would love to rig something like this up because when you have a 50mph piece of yellow plastic, it would be nice to know that you would have the ability to slow it down quickly if you needed to. I know exactly what you mean about that spot in the middle of the Hustler/Sidewinder tub that is a little deeper than the rest of the tub. My Hustler BIGFOOT has a very large main drive sprocket that uses most of that space. That looks like a perfect spot for the brakes. By the way, thanks again for the E-brake cable, it works great!

+ Reply to Thread