97 Conquest Lacking Low-End Power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 97 Conquest Lacking Low-End Power

97 Conquest Lacking Low-End Power

im new to the argo world i just got a 97 conquest with the kawasiki 620 liq cooled motor but even in low range it seems like its lacking the low end grunt my chains are in need of replaceing all of them ive wanted one of these for years and finally got one give me some tips to give this thing all it can be

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    im new to the argo world i just got a 97 conquest with the kawasiki 620 liq cooled motor but even in low range it seems like its lacking the low end grunt my chains are in need of replaceing all of them ive wanted one of these for years and finally got one give me some tips to give this thing all it can be
    I bet 95% of the time when you are lacking low end power it is the belt. The cvt system is pretty temperamental on having a nice belt. If it gets to thin it will completely change the gear ratios all the way around with less low end power and top end speed. The belts top should be flush with the secondary clutches outer edge. If it sinks in at all it is worn. Hope that is it.

I mean if it sinks into the secondary clutch at all when not running, it is worn.

There are several things that could reduce the power that's getting to the ground. The drive belt is the first and easiest thing to check. On the transmission clutch, the belt should sit flush or a little above the clutch faces. Also check how tight the belt is by pushing down on the belt between the engine and trans clutches. It should go down no more than about 2".
    Another very common problem with the Kawasaki is running on one cylinder. I have seen a lot of those engines that drop a push rod and therefore doesn't run on that cylinder. Remove the valve covers and see if the pushrods are still on the rockers. If one has fallen off, it's usually easy to fix. First make sure the pushrod is strait and not damaged. Then make sure the valve moves freely before trying to connect the pushrod again. The valves often glue themselves shut after they are not used in an otherwise operating engine. Again they usually free up and work fine after you open/close it by hand. Replace the pushrod and run the engine for a little while. Change the oil after that. I have fixed many Conquests with this issue and the Kawasaki Mule utility vehicle also has this trouble, with the same engine.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Rockdoctor has some very good videos and tips on here for some primary and secondary clutch adjustments, check out this link.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...ches-vids.html

Over time, the Primary Clutch spring will loose it's strength too. If that happens, the clutch will engage at a lower RPM/Torque. Replacing it might help, and shimming it will also help if you want a higher engagement RPM.

thanks for the tips the drive belt is pretty worn as bad as the chains ive started replaceing them does anyone know where to buy bulk chain for one of these at $89.00 bucks a chain its got to be cheaper buying a 50 ft roll of it and what size is the double roller chain in the conquest . the motor runs great it just seems to bog when climbing hills and turning on them. i live on the wabash river and this thing is great for when it is low cant wait for memorial day at haspin any one else go there

yep it sinks into it a 16th of an inch and is real flexable one problem solved thanks

Your Conquest has double #50 chain. It's been a while since I've bought that chain in a 50ft roll, but I think it was around $600 for Diamond brand chain. I just bought single #50 chain, 50 ft roll with shipping, for $277. No such thing as 'cheap' now days.

It sounds like your machine is really low on power. Check to be sure it's firing on both cylinders before you go much further.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

ive checked the motor it runs on either cyclinder with the other plug out and the motor runs smooth it just boggs down at the top of a hill when i have to turn are there any after market pipes for these machines the drive belt is pretty worn the chains are really loose to the point there is no spring tension left and chain rubs the frame ive never had one of these so im not sure how they are supposed to perform i by passed the govener it was really a pouch before i did that its a good machine for 3000. it just needs some improvement

+ Reply to Thread