installing a riding lawmower rear end into a 69 scrambler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: installing a riding lawmower rear end into a 69 scrambler

installing a riding lawmower rear end into a 69 scrambler

ok (lol) has any body tried to stick automatic trans axel from a ridding lawnmower. in a 6x6 like a scrambler. that way you could get foward and reverse, i was watching gears on the speed channel and he made a v8 barstool with one. also i wonder if you can break each axel indepenet so you can steer it. what do you guys think

My first 6x6 was missing a lot of the drive components so I put a riding lawnmower rear end in it and it lasted oh, untile I tried to turn. lol. I tried gearing it up roughly 3 times and it just over torqed the diff and the spiders lost there teeth. If you keep it geared stock speed or lower it "might" work. Those transaxles are just wimpy stuff for the torque loads required on a 6x6. Now if you use a old school international (not mtd) cub cadet those rear ends are identical in appearance and beef as a car/truck rear end. Just and Idea.

kool. what about troy built. i just trying to build a tuff scrambler with out dumping a grand into it
    bruce

As a tractor the axles are the ground speed. If you put it in the scrambler, I would assume you put a sprocket on the trans axle axle shafts. If that sprocket is the same size as the sprocket on the scrambler axles then it may work. But will be slow as a tractor. If the sprocket on the trans axle is smaller then the scrambler sprocket it would take a lot of stress off the trans axle but be slower then the tractor. If Trans axle sprocket is larger then the axle on the scrambler axle then it will speed it up. But that will multiply the torque load on the diff. and that will fry the differential in the trans axle.

Hope that helps you. Basically if you want a slow beastly tractor pulling amphib, it may work.

lol. thats what i thought. i also thaught about installing a hydrolic drive train in it but that looks like it will be slow too. so i dont know what to do know because i just did not want to rebuild the old stuff. any ideas on what i can do for about 500 dollars
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucemdye View Post
    lol. thats what i thought. i also thaught about installing a hydrolic drive train in it but that looks like it will be slow too. so i dont know what to do know because i just did not want to rebuild the old stuff. any ideas on what i can do for about 500 dollars
    bruce
    If you look around and find a t-20 machine you could steal the tranny from that and install it in the scrambler like Jerseybigfoot and JoeM did. If you find an amphicat with the borg warner plunger type trans it runs #40 chain and is also a good tranny. But then if you find another machine you may want to fix that up instead? Transmission is the heart of these machines. You need a good transmission and a good tub. The rest is easily re fabbed or easy to find new.
    Last edited by LarryW; 02-09-2010 at 10:04 PM.

i live in ohio and where would be a good place to find 6x6s other then ebay. and thanks for the information you have been a big help
    bruce

Maybe local classified in paper or I have made some fliers for putting up at local stores and business before. Search craigslist and there are other local sites too like Kijiji - Post & Search Free Local Classified Ads. or Oodle Classifieds - Search Classifieds and Post Free Classifieds

I dont use those site normally but I do hunt craigslist way to much.

thanks for the help. glad to have talked to you.
    bruce dye

Here is the start of my Scrambler build with an Argo trans and 24hp Honda.

the extra brake on the cvt is to retain the original steering wheel and foot brake. you can get buy with just the stock Argo brakes if you use a lateral setup.

+ Reply to Thread