Trouble Finding Competent Argo Dealer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble Finding Competent Argo Dealer

Unhappy Trouble Finding Competent Argo Dealer

We owned an Argo years ago, and loved it. We're looking now to buy a 2011 model, and have encountered a perplexing problem: We can't find a competent Argo "dealer."

We live on the East Coast, and have driven a cumulative 1,000 miles to 3 dealers listed by ODG, and all 3 have been shockingly below any reasonable standards. They're not true business people in any way, don't know the product, and have been downright absurd in cases. One "dealer" said that he only sells Argos without any accessories because they're too much of a pain to install. All of the "dealers" actually showed little interest in selling Argos, period.

I realize that a lack of qualified dealers reflects a larger issue with ODG, that they're running a nontraditional dealer network of mavericks, selling out of homes and auto shops rather than actual established ATV or marine dealers with real businesses, sales, and service. However, I'm perplexed how ODG stays in business by using sideline "dealers" who don't truly sell product?

Nevertheless, here's my real question: Should we just give up on buying an Argo? Or, how have you gotten successfully around this bizarre supply chain, and actually purchased an Argo? Is there a highly-reputable national dealer that will ship a unit to a customer?

Truly, this has been an eye-opening, shocking experience -- and any advice you have will be truly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not sure where you live, but look up Bost Tuneup in Rockwell NC. (704)279-5736 The owner Ken Bost is one of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met. He has gone out of his way to help me on several occasions, and I've never even bought a machine from him.

His shop does auto repair, but he does a ton of argo and mudd-ox sales and service as well. He has been an ARGO dealer for a LONG time and knows the machines inside and out. I found Ken about 4 years ago when I bought a early 80's ARGO. I found myself needing some parts and took a shot at calling the dealer sticker on the dash of the machine. I didn't expect the place to still be in business. Not only are they still in business, but when I told Ken the serial # from the machine he knew who had bought it new. Had the parts I needed in stock, and stayed at the shop an hour late waiting for me to come get them because I didn't get out of work until after they closed. He has also met me there on a Saturday to sell me 10 feet of chain.
    Last edited by racerone3; 03-27-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

PM sent.

John Amato at white flag Argo in Eliot Maine sold me my machine. Very helpful guy. He would be glad to option out a machine and ship it anywhere . He sold me my frontier for less than any deals i saw out there. Good luck!

Wow I live on the east coast and have not seen that at all. Barrows ATV in Vermont ( Brownsville) was and has been very helpful. He seems to have a bit of knowledge and does regular servicing on many customers from what I understand they do goodcwork as well.

Thank you for your replies. I don't want to throw any dealers under the bus, so I'm not mentioning their names. However, the region I'm having the issue is in the NY/NJ/CT region. It could be a poor ODG rep running that territory, I suppose.

MarryK,
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience in searching for a dealer. I'd like to think most of what you found was just bad luck since there are many good dealers out there. Unfortunately, the amphib market is very small right now and many businesses that are in the ATV (quad) market won't mess with the Argo's low sales volume. The only way to find a good dealer is to find someone who is an enthusiast and just simply loves the vehicle. A "good" sales year for an Argo dealer today might be around a dozen units per year. Few dealers do more, and many do less. A local Honda dealer in my area had a sales special where they sold two hundred quads in one weekend. That's why they won't mess with Argo, and I can't blame them!

It looks like other forums members have already began to point you to some good dealers. I am no longer a dealer for Argo but I'd be glad to point you in the right direction if you have any more trouble buying the best off-road vehicle made today.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MarryK View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I don't want to throw any dealers under the bus, so I'm not mentioning their names. However, the region I'm having the issue is in the NY/NJ/CT region. It could be a poor ODG rep running that territory, I suppose.
    I live in Ontario Canada and have a great local dealer. I have no bias regarding any particular American dealer but I have attended events in NY State where the owner of Cheney's Argo sales traveled a considerable distance just to be there. From talking to Mr Cheney ,I could tell that he is very knowledgeable about Argo products. His business is in Cranbury, N.J. (609) 395 0350 Good Luck

There is a GREAT Argo dealer in Schenectady NY, John's Autobody (no, I'm not him) 518-374-7170, He's been in the business for 25 years! He stocks a lot of parts too! Gil's a great dealer in NJ and there's a good one, HuDat in Ct., there's a guy there named Bobby, he's new but he is learning 203-515-8966. These guys are all good, oh yeah,,, there's GAry at Argo North too! 908-832-2800, I've dealt with all of these guys over the years and they are all good..... Sorry to hear your having a hard time.. Argo is a great machine!!!!

I forgot,,, I've dealt with the rep for that area too! 845-750-8322 call him if you need help.. he is very helpful!!

MarryK, Please let us know how you make out.......
    Last edited by Mike; 04-02-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts (you can edit your original post ;)

+ Reply to Thread