reroutng battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reroutng battery

reroutng battery

ive decided im going to make my battery a new home instead of bring up in all that grease and dirt in the front of the Argo..
    i was thinking just behind the gas tank. is this a good i idea. also can i just use some more battery wire be connecting the terminal eye to another terminal eye with a nut say instead of getting all new wire?
    i meant to say relocating the battery not rerouting...roughly the same concept i guess.
    Last edited by curtisbyrne; 01-24-2017 at 08:14 AM.

I had a 1996 Vanguard, I pulled the original battery and the battery tray out of the front and mounted a deep cycle battery behind the gas tank. I removed the factory battery tray as well to allow for access to the front right chain and make it easier to grease the bearings under it. I prefered the battery in the back, it helped a little with weight distribution and I ran a 56lb thrust electric trolling motor on my Argo so it made sense to keep the battery close to the electric motor. I cut the rear floor pan so the battery sat down in the lower tub, I just used a marine battery box from Canadian tire and ran some 4Ga wire up to the original location.

Best to run all new wire as the more connections you have the more trouble you can get with amp draw.

right... so i just need new cable thats it? will i still get a good charge? any problems with relocating the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Best to run all new wire as the more connections you have the more trouble you can get with amp draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    right... so i just need new cable thats it? will i still get a good charge? any problems with relocating the battery?
    Like Wedge said, the fewer connections and splices you have the better. When I did mine I just moved the battery to the rear and ran 2 heavy guage cables up to the original location with new soldered lugs and tied everything together there, as always I gave everything a good coat of dialectric grease. My preference is to run 2 heavy guage wires from the battery box up to the engine compartment and tie into the original wiring there vs running all new wiring back to the battery. It's simpler, cleaner and easily reversed if you ever wanted to for any reason. Charging will not be an issue at all as long as your connections are good and clean. There are no problems with relocating a battery, just make sure it is secure.

when you say tie in to the old wires... how do i do that ? also how did you wire the solenoid because theres a ground that comes form the solenoid that goes to the battery as well so..

+ Reply to Thread