Dipstick...trans fluid level

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dipstick...trans fluid level

Dipstick...trans fluid level

Does anyone have a pic of an old argo transmission dipstick? My machine did not come with one. The dipstick hole or filler hole, just has a 3/8 bolt in it. So I need to know a couple things. I have drained the fluid and added new, but now have noticed a leak ...havent narrowed it down yet but looks like coming from the right side maybe the right output shaft, not positive. Was wondering if not having the dipstick, means I dont have a vent anymore, causing pressure buildup, causing the leak? Anyways I need to know what the depth of the fluid level is from the bottom or what the top of the fluid level should be from the top of the trans. It is a 72 or 74 model. Thanks Doc

argo dipstick

I have a 82 six wheel argo, the dipstick is about 8 inches long and the mark on it is 7 1/2 inches from the top. That would put the oil level about midway on the output shaft. GreggV

Yeah, the dipstick is also a vent.

Can anyone give me a measurement from the top of trans to the top of the correct fluid level, without the dipstick being involved . Mine is 6 1/2 inches right now ,and I thought it should be a little low on fluid Thanks Doc

when i get back home ill take a couple pics,measurments.its just a pipe plug with a hole drilled in top,tube brazed inside hole,looped at top for venting

Here ya go,length is 7 1/4 inches from bottom of threads to full mark,one of the pics shows the full mark inside trans.HTH PS model is GSS(1978)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ArgoGirb67; 07-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks alot ! Thats what I needed. Looks like the full mark level is about at the bottom of the output shafts, if im looking at your pics right. Im gunna have to build me a dipstick , right now I have a bolt in it with a small hole drilled in it for a vent. And it vents alright... oil and all. I got a measurement of 6 1/2 inches from the top of trans., might have her too full. Thanks a million .. . Doc

Glad i could help,also there is a small hole drilled into the tube right under the pipe plug,one side only(to help venting?)dia. of the tube is 3/16ths(O.D.)

+ Reply to Thread