Setting Valve Lash/Clearance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting Valve Lash/Clearance

Setting Valve Lash/Clearance

Please take Note!

For the 18HP Vanguard Model 356447

Valve Clearance as they call it in the book is checked and adjusted with piston 1/4 inch (6mm) past Top Dead Center. With the engine cold.

It is not adjusted 1/4 turn of the crankshaft past TDC.

Please remember for wahtever you are working on you should gain the proper data from the source. Different equipment years, lots, s/n, etc. could have different specs. I know that my engine also had aluminum pushrods on the exhaust side not the intake and it is true for my model,type, and code.

This is all just FYI and I thank anyone who has ever given me any advice, and appreciate the entire group at 6x6 world.com. In other words this is posted to help everyone understand that the specs for one item may not be the same for the next, and I am not trying to bash anyone that gave any different information.

Rutledge

I went to heymow.com, where I have been lingering for sometime. On their site George Herrin states 1/4 past TDC. From there on other members started posting "1/4 turn" past TDC. I think that George ment 1/4 inch past TDC and figured people were reading their maintenance manuals too.

It has been obivious to me that 1/4 turn did not work on my engine, and I have been setting them at the loosest point on the compression stroke after TDC. I was too lazy and cheap to order the maintenance maunal for my engine until now.
    Last edited by fulleraviation; 06-03-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Hehe.. I bet you can pull it with the rope starter now

George can be brief with the typing, although I think he did eventually clarify the 1/4" vs 1/4 turn. Also, I think I typed 1/4" twice in your engine thread. It's one of those things you assume before reading and comprehension takes place not that I've ever done that

The pushrods.. I've heard of the aluminum placed on either valve. Mine were on the intake when I tore it down. Although I didn't take into consideration it had the shortblock replaced under warranty 8 years ago, so the tech could have made a mistake. I asked George for clarification since he is briggs certified. He didn't state whether intake or exhaust.. said he had heard several reasons for the difference in material, and said bottom line is, if you run any spring pressure and rpm, the aluminum will bend.

How's your engine run and sound W/O .015 valve lash
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Yeah they were loose, but not that loose. They don't clatter anymore thats for sure.

Just waiting on my new clutch to arrive now! Hope I didn't waste my money.

+ Reply to Thread