Two 6x6's -VS- one 8x8?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two 6x6's -VS- one 8x8?

Question Two 6x6's -VS- one 8x8?

I've always been interested in AATV's, and now I live in Alaska, where there's lots of back-country to explore. But, I also have a wife & 3 kids that want to come along.

Since, even AATV's get stuck occasionally, or might break-down way back in the bush, I'm wondering if I should put all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak. So, I'm thinking that two smaller 6x6's might be a better/safer way to travel, out beyond where most of the regular ATV's typically go.

Now, I've searched the archives and read most of the threads about 8x8 -vs- 6x6. And everyone sort of agrees that an 8x8 is a much more capable rig than a 6x6, when it come to hauling loads, etc. But, these comparisons always assume a one-to-one comparison.

So, is 2x6x6 greater than 1x8x8, when it comes to hauling a family around Alaska?

Thanx, Dave.

I prefer 2 vehicles of any kind to one as these things will go where I'm not able to walk home. Remember if it was made by humans ,it will break. That said I prefer 6x6 vehicles for ease of transport as they are under 102" overall and can be legally carried sideways on a trailer in Alaska. I carry 2 MAXs on a single 12 foot trailer. 6x6 no mater who makes it will out maneuver an 8x8 in the trees,just a matter of size. Most 6x6s weigh 300 to 400 lbs less than a comparable equipped 8 wheel vehicle so they can be transported in smaller more fuel efficient boats. They all have pluses and minus. I've traveled in all the max models and several Argo's. One thing for certain in this state once you are amphibious you stay that way. Hope this sheds some light.

I would say Rock Doctor would be the right person to give some good advice on this.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tml#post152555
    But he will probably say choice #3 ......2 8x8

Option number 4...1 6x6 and 1 8x8....That is what I have.....This gives you the best of both worlds....one for play and one for work.....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Thanx for all the quick replies, I appreciate it very much.

The cost of two 8x8's is across that line marked, "unaffordable".

I was thinking that by having two of the same vehicle (2 x 6x6's), rather than one of each, I could stock the same spare parts, filters, belts, tires, and tools. Hopefully, they both wouldn't break the same thing at the same time?

Thanx again, Dave.

In all honesty get a nice adair tracked 31 hp avenger and a 400 to 500 cc 4 wheeler. The wife prefers the suspension, and it is super helpful for fishing. The aatvs art too wide to get back into chitna dip netting due to the slides. Now that I have an 8 wheeler Argo, I'm looking for a 300 cc honda Fourtrax or big red 3 wheeler. You could also get a rocon for a "backup" vehicle. I also carry a SPOT beacon in the bush with my family. By the way, us Alaskan aatv owners are on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/. If I have a 100% failure in the bush with a machine, I'm going to take the wheels off and throw them in the tub. Jack it up on logs, throw the tires in. Come winter I'll pull it out with snow mobiles.... Without wheels it is a sled lol
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

Two machines are always better than one. I have been out alone in some remote areas and knew if I broke down, it would be walking out
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

I think a single 8x8 works really well. For most adventures, it won't require towing a trailer. 2 6x6's won't give you much in the way of cargo-room advantage. Become familiar with it, learn what spare parts to bring and how to troubleshoot your problems. And, of course the basics like some food/water (or filter), a gun, and a light tent/sleeping bag for whoever is on board. Sometimes just the canvas machine top is all you need.
    The weight and bulkiness of the extra gear is not an issue with an 8x8, and you'll burn less fuel than 2 smaller machines. I personally think a person prepares "less" when you feel like you have a back-up machine. Both can still have issues.
    Have a good winch, some rope and at least a single pulley. A rope come-a-long (or a track that can double as a winch) is never a bad idea in case you damage your winch.
    Sat phone or spot device.
    The 8x8 is a lot more versatile. The machine(s) you get most likely won't be your "only" aatv's....think of them like your "first" aatv's. When you have a different want or need...it will be easier to sell the 8x8.
    Spookum's idea of having a sub 500 cc quad in addition to an 8x8 is a GREAT one!

Quote Originally Posted by MAX IV Mark View Post
    I would say Rock Doctor would be the right person to give some good advice on this.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tml#post152555
    But he will probably say choice #3 ......2 8x8

I've tried the "8x8 with a quad", and the "8x8 with a 6x6".
    The 8x8 with a quad is really handy when you get into areas where you want a second machine for short quick trips (fire wood, visit neighbor, ect), but it's a pain when you need the quad to swim across a marsh/slew.
    The 8x8 with a 6x6 is OK, but really, an 8x8 will haul more than 2 6x6's pluss pull the 6x6 behind it (Ya, I know, getting a little carried away)

For me, the solution was to get 2 OLDER 8x8's, initial cost is kept way down, they are simpler machines, virtually all parts are interchangeable. With these older, simpler machines it's easier to keep up that illusion we all portray to our kids "If man made it, I can fix it"
    The older ones take a little more skill to drive, but that will come with time.
    It's rather obvious that I prefer the Conquests, they have proven to be great workhorses, and really tough/reliable machines, if treated properly.

RD

+ Reply to Thread