Bearing locking collars

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bearing locking collars

I am not saying this is a valid thing to do but my Max IV originally had the set screw configuration to lock the sprockets in place. The previous owner had hose clamps installed around the axles to keep the sprokets from floating around. I discovered this when I broke an axle and put groves in all the axles to match the new one and used snap rings to hold its location.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Are the outer locking collars supposed to be on the inside or outside of the tub? Mine were on the inside. and the locking collars on the inner bearing were twords the center, in the little channel between sides. I guess it doesn't matter what side i put those on.

Quote Originally Posted by suntiet View Post
    Are the outer locking collars supposed to be on the inside or outside of the tub? Mine were on the inside. and the locking collars on the inner bearing were twords the center, in the little channel between sides. I guess it doesn't matter what side i put those on.
    I had the very same question when I did my rebuild. I talked to many members here and discovered that sometimes the outer bearing clamp was outside the body and sometimes, inside the body. On my hustler I had them on the outside. I added clamp collars to the inside of the outer bearing to help hold it tight and to keep axle from walking out. The hustler axle really cannot walk in because it is stepped down to 1" shaft for the inner bearing.

Hope this helps explain it better..

If you have Eccentric Locking Collars they must mount on the correct side of the bearing to lock properly.
    Regular collars are sometimes added to prevent the shaft or sprocket hub from side to side movement.

+ Reply to Thread