2000 Bigfoot 6x6 going half-track

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Bigfoot 6x6 going half-track

Hybrid View

2000 Bigfoot 6x6 going half-track

Hello. Winter is coming. Have owned a 2000 Bigfoot with plastic super tracks for about 5 yrs. We use it mostly for trail making and crossing swamps. Winter use is more limited, because the plastic super tracks are too slippery. Good flotation, poor traction. Unable to climb a moderate sledding hill.

Taking kids up our sledding hill is the current goal. Going to try half tracks and tire chains. Half-track 6x6 climbing a sledding hill: chains on front tires or rear? Any experience? Thanks!

You should speak with Mightymax4. He just went to half tracks on his Argo 6x6 and went thru that thought process. He went with tracks on the front two tires.

https://youtu.be/2jWbZcpzUrg?si=x7JDcIAWwdAcWHTc
    Last edited by Noel Woods; Yesterday at 07:53 PM.

halftracks work great in most terrain ... mud 'snow, etc. i've run them for years on my max 2 . you loose a bit of footprint and traction , but gain some power and they turn easier . i have always run mine on the back 2 tires . looks more like a '' half track ''' for me. johnboy va

Ouch. Two different recommendations. Thank you Noel. I did some searching and had read about MightyMax4’s 6x6, but his Alaska Bush Tracks are worlds different than Plastic Super Tracks. Hard to say you can’t compare, but it is almost like apples and oranges. Those plastic tracks get slick. I’ve spent some time thinking about adding steel to the regular plastic super tracks, but haven’t found, or come up with, a good solution. Do you remember seeing anyone who’d successfully added steel to the regular super tracks?

Thanks John. I agree about turning easier. Our 6x6 came with 25’s and a set of 22’s for the tracks. If you run 25’s with 22’s on the back it turns so much easier and smoother, less front to back bumps and rocking too. It’s a better ride. With half track and chains up front do think it’s does a better job climbing? Thanks!

Regarding adding steel to regular plastic tracks, yes. I actually did a set many years back and know that others have as well. The only criticism I had was when riding on trails to get to the next mud hole the metal grousers sure rode roughly and kicked up a ton of dust. I set them up similar to skid steer over the tires track, but I think you should pass on them unless you are always in the mud. If you are the metal grousers work well.

I think you would be better off adding rubber to the plastic tracks every second or third link. You can bolt them thru and that should keep the plastic from sliding so badly as well as give you additional traction. I would cut them in small sections as wide as the plastic track but only four inches long. That way you get a hybrid track without a bunch of weight.

+ Reply to Thread