DIY Replacing chains, bearings and adding Track Tuners

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Replacing chains, bearings and adding Track Tuners

DIY Replacing chains, bearings and adding Track Tuners

I was getting quite a bit of chain windup on my '04 Avenger so I ordered a set of Track Tuners from Adair Argo. When I went to install them I realised that all the bearings on the right side were shot. Also one of the flanges was broken and the axle had about 2" of play. Im not sure how it even was able to move before. So I figured what the heck
    I'll try replacing everything by myself. I'm fairly mechanical but no real experience. So I ordered all the parts and upgraded the entire right side to the HD bearings.

What I found is that it is not that difficult of a job. I was lucky and all the parts came out and off easily. No rust or siezed parts. Of course I put some things in backwards and wrong but I was able to see that before it was too late. And now that machine is running Buttery. I was pretty suprised how much the Track Tuners helped the machine
    run. Way Better than before. More HP too. I'm pretty sure the whole right side was under heavy stress from the chain windup and that is why all the bearings were shot.

It took me a bit to get it all done but It was a great learning experience and now I dont have to worry about having something go wrong and have to bring it somewhere to get fixed. I can do it myself.

It would have been a much more difficult task if i didn't have Tim and Mike at Aidair Argo available by phone to walk me through the dark unknown. (espically removing the idler axle) What a resource those guys are! Also there were a couple of videos from the Rock Doc (i think) that were very helpful. This is such a cool site!!! Mark

Quote Originally Posted by red bricks View Post

It took me a bit to get it all done but It was a great learning experience and now I dont have to worry about having something go wrong and have to bring it somewhere to get fixed. I can do it myself.

Good job! That's what it's all about.

It would have been a much more difficult task if i didn't have Tim and Mike at Aidair Argo available by phone to walk me through the dark unknown. (espically removing the idler axle) What a resource those guys are! Also there were a couple of videos from the Rock Doc (i think) that were very helpful. This is such a cool site!!! Mark
    And this is why this site is such a great resource

Joe.

Did you check the bearings on the left side and grease them?
    I bet they could use the HD bearing upgrade as well.
    Do the track tuners allow the wheels to spin free or do they still drive?

Thumbs up, nice sense of pride when you discover you can do it yourself. great job!

Yes, I gave the left side a through inspection. Everything seemed very tight. I also lubed every thing. The track tuners allow the middle tires to free spin. I actually tried to drive with out the tracks on and I could not even move. Really freaked me out because at first I thought I had put everything back together wrong. Then I realized that the tuners were the reason. My Avengers front and rear tires are offset a little bit and now with the tuners on the outside tires provide the power. I was just a litte anxious to take it out and give it a spin. I got the tracks on fine and man she wants to go!! I'll change the left side next go around. Mark

+ Reply to Thread